Sunday, March 07, 2010

What I'll Miss Installment #10

Now that I've vented a few of my work-related frustrations, I need to balance that with a "What I'll Miss" segment. This will be brief, as I have a kajillion cupcakes to ice and if I am at the computer too long I will be tempted to look at Web sites that will tell me who won which Oscar.

While watching the red carpet, did you notice how smooth and hairless the actress' arms are? I bet they pay a pretty penny to get themselves all waxed for the big day. Waxing in the U.S. is a little too expensive. New York wasn't bad, but in a place like Spokane, where I imagine that very few of the population wax, the waxing fees will be quite steep: $70 for legs, $50 for arms...

Waxing in the Middle East is cheap. It is considered unsanitary to be so hairy, so there are places to wax off unnecessary hair pretty much all over the place. Sure, the fancy salons may a be a bit pricey, but the regular ones are quite reasonable.

For example, last Wednesday I went and got my arms, legs, and..um...other places waxed for a mere 180 dirhams. That's $49.00. I don't think I could wax myself at home for so little. And trust me, there are some places that shouldn't be waxed at home. (And I am very glad I figured that out before I tried it at home.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried at-home waxing. Once. It was enough to turn me off for life. Excruciating doesn't begin to describe it. Now if there is waxing to be done, it's got to be professionally handled!

Don't know if you've seen this, but for an absolutely hysterical look at home-waxing, check this out: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/humor-comedy/now-very-funny-waxing-story-read-43859.html