Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's a Good Thing I Only Went to Global Village Twice

I have already mentioned Global Village, but in the interest of putting more pictures on my blog, I thought I'd talk about my second trip...which took place probably a month ago.

This particular trip I actually got to stay a bit longer since we went the night before a day off. We were in a much smaller group (5 total), and were able to easily split into smaller groups when necessary. We started out in India where I fell in like with another carpet, but I refrained from buying it. I got other stuff instead.

On our way to the Turkey pavilion, we ran into this guy who was sell cups of juice. He carries the juice on his back, and then pours it into cups with a long spout that you can kind of see off his left shoulder.
I need to get rid of that sweater.

The best part of Turkey were these fabulous bright dishes. I wanted to buy arm-fulls, but alas they are a little hard to pack...plus a little hard on the wallet.
The ladies in the photo that follows are real Emirati women. Look closely at the gold masks on their faces. This is an old tradition that mostly the older women still wear. I had to be very stealthy; they don't like getting their pictures taken.
Of course, we had to go to China and get some pearls. Again.
Jenn, Jennie, and the pearl guy who gave us better deals than the last time we were there. He remembered us.
Toria didn't get any pearls. She was a trooper to stick around while we were making up our minds.
In the West Africa pavilion I made some Senegalese friends with the the only Waloff phrase I know: Nagadeff! (It's a greeting.) They let me play with the drums. I think they assumed that then I would buy one. It wasn't nearly tempting enough...not like the real alligator skin Kelly bag look-alike. Which I also did not buy.
All of the nekkid lady statues had to be covered. heehee.

Sadly, even though we were there for hours, I still didn't see everything that I wanted. The good news is that I hear I can find a lot of the same wares in other parts of Dubai. And with much better prices.

4 comments:

LMT said...

So good to see you! I have been enjoying your "installments". What a unique experience you've had.

Mary said...

So so cool. I wish you had room in your suitcase (and in your wallet) to buy all those awesome things. Bring that juice man to the states, he's cool.

Kimpossible said...

I love those Turkish dishes and those pearls look really pretty too. How fun!

monica said...

oh my! why am i not traveling the world with you?!?!