Saturday, March 13, 2010

What I'll Miss #11

One of the best parts of living in a Muslim country is listening to the call to prayer about five times a day. Well, the one that goes off while I am sleeping is probably my least favorite call to prayer...

The best way to hear the call to prayer (I am sure there is a prettier Arabic word to use here, but I don't know it) is walking around when it goes off. Since there are mosques on practically every street, the mass of minarets combine to make a beautiful yet slightly haunting sound. Because the five prayers are essential to the Muslim faith, many public places like malls and airports also broadcast the call to prayer at the appropriate times. These places are also equipped with a small mosque for people to perform those rites. The Dubai TV stations will even tell its viewers when it is time to pray.

The mall where the bakery is located does have prayer rooms, but we don't get the broadcast call to prayer. It is rather surprising as I would say the majority of the patrons are Muslim. I feel like sometimes I forget about it, and last night as I walked home from the gym, I was reminded how much I like it. Prayer is an important part of my faith too. It is nice to have a reminder to pray more often.

To get an idea of this music that plays all across the Middle East, I have posted a nice YouTube clip I found of the call to pray in the evening at the Dubai Creek. The camera work is shaky, but you are meant to listen more than look.


No comments: