Monday, February 08, 2010

What I'll Miss #6


I am having a hard time being grateful today--probably because I had to go to work. It was so crappy of a day that the opportunity to make all the music choices failed to lift my spirits. (Though I imagine my mood would be a kajillion times worse if I had to listen to that "Have a Baby By Me" trash and all of its cousins that attempts to call itself music. I digress.) I left work so tired that I didn't even want to work out. (But I did, I have jeans to look good in, you know.)

I have a gym membership at Fitness First--a gym that costs an awful lot of money for not very much equipment, classes, and uplifting lighting. I tried to quit in November, but then realized that I needed an outlet to see more people than just those that I work with. So I continue to go, even though the weather has been too nice to workout in a bland, dimly-lit gym.

However, once or twice a week (when I end up staying at work late) I work out at the beach. Sweet, huh? The beach near the bakery has a cushiony running trail that is about 1400 meters long. That's about .8 miles. It's not a very long trail, obviously, but walking/running that length 2-3 times makes for a worthy cupcake-burning workout. (Actually, I'm trying not to eat cupcakes at work. I've been doing pretty good. And no, I haven't taken any home.)

Plus, the view couldn't be better. I am not referring to Australian surfers, although that would be nice. The Gulf only gets good waves when it's windy. Most of the beachcombers are Middle Eastern or Filipino. I love watching the waves (no matter the size) come crashing into the sand. In the distance I can see the Burj al Arab, the World islands, various ships, and on a clear day I can see the Atlantis Hotel.

Usually I am there in time for a pretty nice sunset. Now, I know that you are thinking that Dubai is on the wrong side of the Gulf to have the sun set into the water, but because of all the money in the region they bought out the sun and told it to set over the Gulf and not the desert. Haha, not really, but it almost seems likely. The shape of the country and the situation of Dubai somehow manages a water sunset. And it is quite lovely, naturally.

One of these days I may actually put on that bathing suit that I have only worn once and go swimming or something resembling that. Until then, it will be my escape from crappy days at work.

3 comments:

Kate said...

That beach is gorgeous. Doesn't look crowded at all either. What's the water temperature??

merebuff said...

At 6:00pm the beach is usually not crowded ,although the nicer beaches still may have lots of people.

Right now the water is chilly, but if the weather is warm enough it should be bearable. In the hot months it's like bathwater--totally unrefreshing.

Kimpossible said...

Beautiful. I would want to go there every day. BTW, I think it's really great that you are trying to look at the good things there. It's probably even healthier than your run on the beach (though that sounds SO nice to me right now).