Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Falling Perfectly


Today is the first day of September, and although the first day of fall is still twenty days away, one can't help but feel a little bit of autumn magic when the calendar finally reaches this month. Leave are eager to change colors, the air eases off the heat, and the sun hits the earth at just the right angle for a perfect autumn glow. I love this time of year. Well, I love this time of year when I live in a place that has this particular season. I hear Dubai does get cooler by the end of the month, but it's still beach weather year-round so I have a feeling I am going to truly miss the fall.
Fortunately the gods of autumn have smiled on me and I get to spend my annual vacation relishing the change of weather in some of my favorite places. While I have no set plans per se, (well except for the getting on and off airplanes part) here is a sampling of what I would like to have happen:
Hug kids, toddlers and babies...perhaps a few teenagers if they's allow it, tease a grandmother, eat crisp apples and warm cinnamon doughnuts, watch fish fly, and hear ferries' horns. I want to see mountain passes with a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees. I will run with Wild Things and catch up with network programming. I am going to laugh, reminisce, and pine away for a warmer wardrobe. I have a date to wrap myself in my green coat and don a scarf. And when the weather gets even colder I will drive on the other side of the road, visit a neighborhood chippy and devise a plot to return for a more permanent vacation.
And generally having the best 27 days ever.
It all begins on October 1st.

5 comments:

B.Bird said...

Fall is also my favorite season and you can feel it in the air here the last couple of days. I can't wait for the leaves to change. They get so beautiful here that they scene has been known to bring tears to my eyes as I've been out driving.

merebuff said...

New York does have gorgeous autumns. It is one of the many things I miss about that area.

Dave said...

Yea for vacations!!! Yours sounds like it might include the fabulous Pacific Northwest... I think I'll miss you in Dubai again by the time we are able to get down there...but I'm sure I'll be in this part of world again. Have a wonderful trip!

monica said...

i love fall and wish i was going to be home in seattle during it. i also wish i was going to be there in seattle when you are going to be there. come to rexburg?

Kimpossible said...

Yeah!! Does that mean you are making a stop in New York??