Saturday, September 12, 2009

Heaven Help Them


One of the things I like best about church is that we all have a responsibility (a calling, as we call it). I am most particularly glad that I have a responsibility because it means that once a week I don't have to be at work for three/four hours. (It has been a looong time since I have had a day off, but who's counting?) In Beirut I was in charge of teaching the kid's Sunday School lessons, here in Dubai I get to teach the adults their Sunday...er Friday School lesson. This is an assignment I've had before, and I really love it.
The last time I taught, however, it was in front of a group of twenty-somethings with pretty similar educational backgrounds and interests. For the most part. Here, I teach people of varying ages, educations, and ethnic backgrounds. While I still get the point across for each gospel doctrine, I am not sure my teaching method works the best.
To best describe my delivery, I would say that I come from the Lorelei Gilmore School of Teaching. If you've never seen an episode of Gilmore Girls, it may be hard to imagine what this means. Let me 'splain. In the course of a Sunday School lesson, I will talk really fast, go off on a few random tangents, tell self-depricating stories, and add in a few well-timed hair tosses to get the male population's attention.
And let's not forget the pop culture references. It is quite possible I may have compared the priesthood to Harry Potter or Superman. And I may have compared and contrasted the death of Joseph Smith to Noel Gallagher's departure from Oasis.
It can be a little like this:




How else would you expect me to teach?

4 comments:

Lola said...

i have happy memories of your teaching style...those dubai members are lucky to have you.

monica said...

hah nice. i love that show, how i wish it was snowing right now and i was cuddled up on the couch with a blanket on my lap and hot chocolate in my mug while watching this show.(well actually i hate snow so i will be fine with rain)

Sarah said...

That is ha-larious! I would love to be in that class!

Ang said...

Um...HOW did I never put it together? You and Lorelai? Love love love.