Thursday, November 06, 2008


Two and a Half Years in New York is Enough. Right?
A funny thing happened on Monday. After spending a fun day in the city with the parental unit, I cam home to find an email offering me a job in a bakery outside of New York City. And after some consideration, I have decided to take the job. I am going to pack up and leave Gotham City for a brand-spanking-new-to-me locale. That is clue #1. I am not going to actually tell you where I am going. I'm going to let you guess with some fun facts about the area, and a few pictures. So, clue #1: I have never been there before. Wait, clue #1 is the satelite image above. Clue #2 is that I have never been there.


Clue #3. There are a lot of cedar trees in the area.

Clue #4: It is often referred to as the "Paris of the East."

Clue#5: In the 19th century, the city thrived on exporting silk.

Clue #6: It is believed that this city had the very first law school. Ever.

Clue #7: Possible candidate for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.
Clue #8: Birthplace of Keanu Reeves, oddly enough.
Clue #9: Listed as one of Lonely Planet's Top Ten Liveliest Cities.
Clue #10: Hottest month: August, with a whopping average temperature of 85 degrees. The coldest month is January and a "frigid" 50 degrees.
I am not sure if there is going to be a prize if you guess correctly, besides the satisfaction of figuring out my misleading clues. But please note that I will be on my way in about four weeks. It is so crazy how life up and changes like that.
Anyway, in a couple of days I will post the answer and additional details about the newest adventure. And trust me, this is going to be an adventure.

18 comments:

monica said...

oh oh i know where!

The Laflin Bunch said...

OMG!!!

I know where, and I honestly can't believe it! WHAT?!?!?!!?!?

You have to tell more details about how this happened... I'm dying to know.

Bridget

Ang said...

WHAT the frack? Can I come visit? Will you still be in NYC in two weeks when I COME back? Ohmygoodness!!! So excited!

Kendra Leigh said...

You have to PROMISE me that you will not die while you're there! I'm so sad to lose another friend from my 'hood!

James Quigley said...

1.) do you have to wear a sari?
2.) What is the LDS population like?
3.) how close is your 'office' and home from the US Embassy?
4.) do they pay women chefs money?
5.) Will you have to dress like a boy to go dancing?
6.) Am I a narrowminded stereotyping American idiot?
7.) If you weren't at least a little worried about some things, I doubt you would think it is such an adventure.
8.) Way to LIVE!
9.) do they have the internet there?

10.) Alicia says: "Sorry you'll miss our wedding" You may not. I hear Head Pastry Chefs don't last more than 3 years anywhere. :P

Jacks said...

Um, how did you get this job? Details please! Please?

LauraLee said...

I have my guesses but I am excited to hear where you are headed!

stephanie said...

Seriously!? Crazy!!

(thank you Wikipedia)

Sherry Carpet said...

will you be speaking full-time french??

see-k-tee said...

no way no way no WAY!!!!! Meredith!!!! I have always wanted to go there!! And I have a dear friend there that lives there--I will have to introduce you. How wonderful! Congrats!

Natalie said...

Congrats! I've been to the border but no closer. I LOVE that area of the world, so I'm a little jealous. I'll have to link your blog on mine so I can keep track of everything you are up to.

Kimpossible said...

Um...are you going to the land where "The Prophet" was written? One of my favorite little books...

That's so exciting! I can't wait to hear more!

Em said...

Meredith. Whoa. This is so cool. I think you need to expound a little more on how this job offer came to you. This is too intriguing. I have my guess, and wow. You are quite the brave woman.

farmerette said...

That is so amazing! You have way more guts than me and I'm sure you are in for a wonderful adventure. I'm looking forward to following along on your blog and I'm dying to know how this job came about.
Leah

Christy Markel said...

Meredith...

That is awesome!! If I could only eat one kind of food for the rest of my life, it would be their food. I was in a country very nearby and loved it. How on earth do you come across a job offer like that??

Congratulations!!

When is the big move?

Miss you!
Christy

(PS- Enjoy speaking a little French again...even if it isn't in the French House!)

Christy Markel said...

Meredith...

That is awesome!! If I could only eat one kind of food for the rest of my life, it would be their food. I was in a country very nearby and loved it. How on earth do you come across a job offer like that??

Congratulations!!

When is the big move?

Miss you!
Christy

(PS- Enjoy speaking a little French again...even if it isn't in the French House!)

Christy Markel said...

Meredith...

That is awesome!! If I could only eat one kind of food for the rest of my life, it would be their food. I was in a country very nearby and loved it. How on earth do you come across a job offer like that??

Congratulations!!

When is the big move?

Miss you!
Christy

(PS- Enjoy speaking a little French again...even if it isn't in the French House!)

Kimpossible said...

Are you updating us yet?