Monday, November 10, 2008



Beirut and all the Crazy Details

I am pretty sure you have all been waiting impatiently for the details, and since I officially gave notice at work today I can spill.

A couple of months ago a pastry chef friend moved to Dubai to work at a cupcake/American-style bakery. Being a girl that likes to see the world, I was immediately envious and suggested that he tell his boss about me. After all, I happen to work at an incredibly popular cupcake bakery. As it turns out, this friend told his boss about me, and last Monday I was offered a job in Beirut, Lebanon.

I wasn't exactly expecting that location, and I nearly turned them down. It doesn't sound like a very safe option for a pasty American female. However that little voice inside suggested I hear what the bakery bosses had to say, and my roommates and I immediately began to google Beirut to see if it is really as dangerous as we think.

After two phone interviews, answering questions like "will employees respect me," "what language will be spoken in the bakery," and "what voltage does Lebanon use," I felt ready to accept their offer. Don't worry, I contemplated and prayed about the opportunity. It turns out to be the odd answer to some prayers of frustration in my life. I like to travel, and, thanks to a mission and time in France, I like to live outside of the country. I also wish I spoke more French. So besides being an amazing work opportunity, it fills that need to live hors de mon pais, and use that French degree I acquired.

In Beirut I will do pretty much the same stuff that I do here, but more baking and with more travel. According to the new bosses, I will be able to visit Dubai and Amman, Jordan, as well as other future locations. Many Lebanese are French educated, and thanks to French control after WWI, French is the second most used language in the country. My boss will cover my rent, health insurance, and airfare.

Now to answer some of the questions I have received, and other things I have learned:

1. Yes, I am crazy.

2. I won't be speaking full-time French, but perhaps a nice mix of English, French and Arabic, or EngFreBic.

3. I will not have to dress up a boy to go dancing.

4. I do not have to be veiled in public. Or wear a sari. Indian women wear saris.

5. My church is an officially recognized religion, so I will not risk getting arrested while worshipping. Yes, there is a branch. And I had to contact some important people in Salt Lake to get information about the branch.

6. You better come visit me.

7. No, I will not be visiting Jerusalem. If I do, the Lebanese government would not let me enter the country again.

8. If there is another...ummm...conflict in the country, the bakery will send me to another franchise elsewhere in the Middle East.

OK, that's all I can think of right now. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will try answer them while I am getting ready to ship out. And I will try to keep the blog posted as much as I can.

So that's the scoop!

13 comments:

Shennell said...

Well Meredith, sounds like you have a great opportunity. Best of luck with it and I may just take you up on the "come visit" offer once you get settled.

-Shennell

LeeAnn said...

Question 1: When are you leaving?

Question 2: Will you still be there in 2009-10 when I accrue enough vacation time to "pay off" my India trip and can borrow more days to come to Lebanon?

Question 3: Who goes to Beirut to be a baker? Are you sure you're not with the CIA?

kiki said...

O!M!G! I AM SO JEALOUS!!! SERIOUSLY JEALOUS!!! I am very excited to reacquaint myself with the blogosphere at least enough to read about your adventures.

Kimpossible said...

So yes...when do you leave and why are you the coolest person in the world? Wow! I love it!

Karina said...

Yes, yes, do tell me when you leave for Beirut. You are definitely going to have some crazy stories to tell your children some day. And yes yes, I will definitely come for a visit. That is, between wars. Dubai could be cool too . . .

Love you!

Karina

Anonymous said...

Who gets your lemon tree when you leave?

Why Not said...

Wow - How incredible. I too am quite envious of your life. How fun! Best of luck!

Brooke (Heath)

kelsey said...

I will openly admit you are insane, but I love you and hope you have a great time.

adiamondinsunlight said...

You will adore Beirut! Bring your best clothing - there are no saris, as you note, but there is lots and lots of dress-up and glitter.

Where will you be working - what neighborhood? Is this a new bakery, or an already-existing one?

Also - re: voltage. The worst headache about the city is the 3+ hour daily power cuts. I am sure that the bakery will have an ishtirak (an agreement to use a local generator), but please confirm with your boss that your apartment will also have one. It will make your life much happier!

Holly said...

How outrageously exciting!! Who would have thought less than a year ago when you quit your freelance gig to be a baker that it would take you on this wonderful journey!!! I'm so excited to hear more!!!

Angela said...

How exciting!!! Dave is in Dubai right now and he told me that the downtown area is so beautiful! I´m so excited for you!
So, when are you leaving? I can´t believe I haven´t seen you yet!! I´m in Ecuador right now, then I´ll be in Utah and won´t get back until January. Please tell me you are not leaving yet! I´d love to see you before you leave. BTW, do you want anything from Ecuador?

Em said...

You are so freakin' cool. I love that you took this job and would love to come visit one day.

I would like to know along with everyone else when you head out.

I am excited you get to use your French, though. All that hard work (learning French, working in a NY bakery) has paid off.

Nancy said...

Hi! No, you don't know me. I'm a friend of Stephanie's. We went to Russia together back in '04 (I think it was '04).

Anyway, she sent me the link to your blog so that I could look at her wedding pictures, which are beautiful!

And I just wanted to let you know that I'm excited for you to move to the Middle East!

I'm in Cairo right now, and I love it!

Maybe we'll get out to visit your bakery while we're in the "area." I think it would be funny to meet Stephanie's cousin in Beirut. :)

Oh, and my husband's grandparents served a mission there are loved it! I'm sure you will, too!