Saturday, May 06, 2006

There is a magnet on my fridge in Bellevue, Wa that says(and for those with senstive eyes, please excuse the explitive), "Ever notice that 'what the hell' is always the right decision?" In a way, that's kinda why I chose to quit my job and move to New York. Now for all those concerned folk out there, I was not totally flippant in making such a huge decision...but it pretty much boils down to: What the he#@?

The decision to quit my job was pretty easy. I had been thinking about it for quite some time. The only trouble is that I wasn't too sure what I was going to do. All I knew that I wanted to be a bit more creative. Aviation Insurance is a good many things, but it didn't provide too many creative opportunities. I really knew I had a problem when I was more excited to choose decorations for the company Christmas tree than I was for renewing my cliets' accounts. After some research I decided to try start a career in Public Relations. I even did some freelance PR work for some friends. I liked the small things that I did, and I wanted to learn how to do more. That decision was done.

So how did I choose New York? This is pretty much where that "What the he*%?" phrase kicks in. Sure NYC is a mecca for PR jobs, but it really boils down to...I think you know where I am going. My mom reminded me that when I was little I would make up stories about myself, and I would always talk about living in NYC. So I decided to have faith in my early childhood propheices and move to the Big Apple. I wonder what else I predicted for myself?

In April I went to the city to visit friends, meet with a PR firm, and see if I would want to live there. Despite the large cockroach in my tub the first morning and zero hot water on Sunday morning, I knew I was moving to New York.

I have a list of cities where I would like to live. In the past couple of years I was trying to move to London. But nothing seemed to work out. My move to New York seems to be working out: I sold my car, I have a place to live, and an interview when I arrive.

Inevitably it appears that "What the he$#" was once again the right decision.

2 comments:

michelleyv said...

NY is the perfect relocation for a hip and upcoming professional Meredith. So excited to have a reason to visit! You go--what the hell?

kiki said...

CHUIS JALOUSE!