Friday, May 12, 2006

I have been in New York for little over 1 day, about 37 hours, and I think I have pinched myself 37 times. Maybe less because I did get some sleep. I first pinched myself in the shuttle while winding down the streets dropping off passengers. I kept repeating to myself, "I actually live here..." Since I was the second to the last person dropped off, I saw a lot of my new home. Other passengers were deposited at fancy hotels, Penn Station, and even a cruise ship. Just a couple of us went to our actual homes.

That's when I had to pinch myself again. I live in a charming brownstone in the Marten Jumel Historical district of Washington Heights. The street is lines with leafy trees and brownstones that either have been or are in the process of being renovated. Mine is in process. It was remodeled from the original house 6 years ago, but the entryway is filled with building materials. It looks like there is some work left somewhere in the building.

The apartment is small, but very well taken care of. The living room has a fireplace (sealed), and two tall windows with the original wood frames. The kitchen and bathroom have new appliances and fixtures, thank goodness. My room is the largest, and it is pretty large by New York standards. It has tall cielings, hard wood floors, two tall windows (again, with the original wood frames), and a fireplace. The fireplace has been sealed, but there is a cavity where I could put candles or, as someone suggested, a small tv/dvd player combo with the fire dvd. The fireplace is tile, but has the original wood mantle. I like my room. I can't wait to get furniture for it.

Yesterday evening, after unpacking, I went to visit my friend Krista. For those readers who don't know this fine lady, she used to live in Bellevue and we went to church together. She moved to NYC about two years ago, and has since married. Anyway her hubby was out of town, and she offered to make me dinner. Since I had no food I was not about to turn it down. But I would have gone to visit her even if no food were offered. She lives on the edge of Harlem, so I got on the subway to her house. I had a good time; we ate and then watched the documentary "New York Doll" and I promptly fell asleep. I caught portions of the film. Enough to say that I would like to see it again without napping.

My trip home from Krista's was my first New York adventure. The stop at Krista's house going uptown was closed. So I had to take the 1 train to 96th street, and then get on the other platform to go up to 168th. This was the successful part of the journey. On the 1 train to 168th I thought about walking to my place on 162nd instead of taking the C train, but since it was dark I opted for the subway. I should have walked. At the 168th stop, I noticed that the C train was not going downtown, so I had to take the A train downtown. A & C run along the same lines, but C is a local and A is the express, and does not stop on 162nd. I got on the A anyway with the plan to hop platforms to take the C at the next stop. This is what I did, but the C I got on was going downtown. Urgh. I got off at the next stop (135th) to get on an uptown train. I had to go all the way outside and cross the street to get to the right platform. Luckily, this stop is in the nice, regentrified area of Morningside Heights. On my way to the correct platform, I had some problems with my Metro card, and missed the train by a few seconds. So I waited by myself on an empty platform for the next train. Being a Sunday, this train didn't come as quickly as I and my mother would prefer. I prayed for safety and got it. I also finally got home and got ready for bed.

I didn't sleep well. I caught some bug, or ate something bad, and I ended up throwing up all night and most of the morning. Not the best way to start my time in NYC. Many people wanted to know what I was going to do first in NYC, and I certainly didn't plan to inspect the toilet system my first night in town. By the time morning came, I was still sick and very worried about my appointment this morning. I was supposed to be down by Union Square at 10 a.m. I didn't want to postpone my interview, but I sure as heck didn't want to throw up in the subway...it's not how I intended to make my mark on this city. Fortunately the recruiter was understanding, and we pushed my appointment to 2 p.m. By afternoon I wasn't throwing up, even though I wanted to. The subway ride was tough. I took the express so that I could get there quickly, but I had second thoughts after every fast bump and/or turn. I was very lucky not to throw up on myself. I took a taxi home...after I went to Trader Joe's.

I think my interview went well...not superbly well, but I think my resume and experience made an impression. I get to go back and meet with the Vice President. Pray for me. If I don't get the internship, my roommate works at a staffing agency, and can get me temporary work in the mean time. I think that will be very helpful.

I need a nap now. Just a tiny nap until people come home.

No comments: