Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I had my very first celebrity sighting on Thursday afternoon. I was walking along third avenue in the East Village/Flatiron area when I saw John Leguizamo. He played Toulouse Lautrec in Moulin Rouge. I know, he's not some huge, hyper-famous celebrity, but I am sure he is still a person that likes to be left alone. So I did not chase after him begging for an autograph. I should probably keep a journal of all the celebrities I see, because in a place like New York I am bound to see a lot. Especially since this area has tons of TV shows where actors, writers, and musicians come to promote their projects.

One band that I like a lot is Snow Patrol. (Ha! You thought I was going to say Keane.) Snow Patrol is an Irish band I saw last year on my birthday. I have recently bought their latest album, and it is FABULOUS. I encourage you all to buy it. One song from this particular cd was recently featured on the ABC show Gray's Anatomy. Maybe there was buzz for this song, because ABC invited Snow Patrol to perform that song on Good Morning America.

I found out about the performance through an email I got from the band. (OK not the band per se, but it was from the Snow Patrol organization. But I would not complain if Gary Lightbody, the lead singer, did send me an email). The email announced that the performance would be on Memorial Day. I decided right then and there that I was going to go down to Times Square to see the performance.

To get inside the studio for the performance I had to email ABC to request "tickets." They don't actually issue tickets, but they will email would-be guests and inform them that they are on the reservation list. Since I requested a spot on Saturday I thought my chances were pretty slim for getting in the studio. Nonetheless, I could stand outside and watch the performance from there. I did check my email Sunday night, and I received no notice that I would be in the studio.

So yes, I woke up at 5:30 to stand outside of the Good Morning America studio to catch a glance of Snow Patrol. Luckily I was not the only fan of the band to wait around to see them. And fortunately Tyler Florence of Food Network fame was outside barbecuing for a segment on the show. I knew the band would be on last, but that didn't matter. It was pretty cool to watch a TV show being taped.

I was perched outside the window with a pretty good view of the band. I was closer to them there than I would be if I could afford to go to their concert this Friday (I really want to see that concert. I am SO devastated). It is possible that the camera may have gotten a glimpse of me as it panned the audience inside. I stayed there for two hours as I waited for the end of the show.

With about thirty minutes left in the show, the tv crew prepared that area for the last two segments: Tyler Florence and Snow Patrol. There must have been a glare because they crew lowered a black curtain over the windows. The curtain was somewhat clear; I could still see inside, but barely. I stuck it out that long, and even though I was upset by the curtain, I was bound to stick it out to the end.

Finally the band played the song "Chasing Cars," a beautiful soft song that perhaps I will play at my wedding reception. The performance sounded good, and I was happy to be able to see the band through the curtain. My heighth helped.

When Good Morning America was over I decided to wait around to see Snow Patrol leave the studio. My original plan was to take my cd and and a Sharpie to get an autograph, but when one wakes up at 5:30 on a holiday things are forgotten. I was not only person waiting for the band, but thankfully this group stayed under ten people. Finally the band walked out of the side door and headed to the curb to talk with managers and drivers, etc. Just as soon as they were out a group of girls in short skirts went up to talk to them. They took pictures and chatted, and I stood there and watched. I had no camera for pictures, and I didn't really want to appear like another giggly groupie in a short skirt trying to get the attentions of the good looking Irish boys. I was not wearing a short skirt; I was in pants. My insecurity got the better of me. Even if I had a profound way of telling them how much I felt about the cd, why would they want to talk to me? (I generally feel this way whenever I attempt to talk to a boy.) I froze on my spot on the pavement, and watched them talk with the other girls, and then eventually walk away.

I would for sure love to meet members of my favorite bands, but I would like it to happen more organically than running after them to get a picture and an autograph. Maybe that way I wouldn't feel so self-conscious. I think it would be way more interesting to meet-- say--Tom Chaplin of Keane at Whole Foods as we both reach for the same Odwalla fruit smoothie. (I hear he likes them.) That way I could have a lot more to say than gushing about their latest album or performance. Maybe they'd have something to say to me as well.

But that is the beauty of living in New York. It is quite likely that I could bump into some celebrity at Magnolia Bakery or Bliss Spa and have an absolutely normal conversation. And to improve my chances I have been thinking about joining Crunch Gyms. It is a good gym, and I hear that Matt Damon and Calvin Klein work out there...

* I did make it on tv. You can actually see my silhouette during the music performance. I'm not sure if you can see me any other time. My roommate taped it for me to watch, and there I was was. My grandma also taped it. And because of that show I have now also seen Charlie Gibson and Tyler Florence, along with Snow Patrol.

3 comments:

kiki said...

I want to go to Magnolia and mack on some cupcakes.

I'm still so jealous of you!

merebuff said...

so when are you going to come visit me? I haven't been to magnolia yet...though I may go this afternoon to celebrate my indentured servitude as an intern.

kiki said...

w00+