Sunday, May 21, 2006

I have survived my first week in New York. It has been a good week: part vacation, and part adjustment. I think I am adjusting well. I like being able to walk more (it's something that I miss about living in France), and I am learning to buy a few groceries at the store, instead of enough food for a couple of weeks. I think the only adjustment that I still need to work on is my sleeping schedule. I think I my body is still running on Pacific Standard Time. I go to bed at midnight; not because I'm tired, but because I have nothing else to do. Then I wake up about 9:30. Anyone who knows me should see how odd that is for me. Normally I like to go to bed earlier and wake up at seven. I think I could switch my schedule if I was more tired in the evening. Thing is, right now I don't do enough to make myself tired. I do take walks in the afternoon, but I maintain a leisurely gait. (Fortunately, it is enough to keep my waistline at bay.) I have been told by many people that I should enjoy this leisurely state while it lasts, because soon enough I will have a job and all luxury will go away.

I spend my mornings on the job hunt, and in the afternoon I run errands and explore. For all those concerned with my safety I would like you to know that I live near two hospitals, one of them being the Columbia University hospital. I have mentioned that I live in a great quiet, historical neighborhood, but on the other side of the road is Washington Heights. It is quite the dichotomy: a nice, tree-lined street right next to a busy, loud, urban thoroughfare. The Rite-Aid, grocery stores, and laundromat are on that side of the street. I get to go to the laundromat tomorrow. But I kinda like having both worlds. YES I AM CAREFUL, and I rarely have a need to go wandering around after nine. Really, the most dangerous part of my neighborhood is the busy intersection, and I've already told you about the nearby hospital.

I got to do some touristy things Friday and Saturday. I was going to explore the Lower East Side on Friday, but when the subway dropped me off at the appropriate stop it was pouring down rain. Torrential downpour. Even if I had an umbrella I would have been soaked. So instead I hopped back on the subway and headed to the Museum of Natural History. I chose that museum because it has its own subway stop and I wouldn't have to go outside. I am glad that I went because it is a great museum. It is HUGE. Not as large as the Louvre, but it is one of those museums that you shouldn't do in one day--too much to see. I was there for about two hours and didn't even finish all of the first floor. So I'll have to go back...when I can afford the $14 admission fee again.

On Saturday I was blessed with nice weather, so I took my trek back to the Lower East Side (LES), and did a walking tour of the area that includes Chinatown and Little Italy, as well as some old synagogues. The tour I followed was outlined in the guide book my former co-worker, Nancy, gave me. The LES is the part of Manhatten that housed early immigrants to New York. At one time it had the largest concentration of people in the world. I think. I don't remember the actual numbers. These immigrants, poor but crazy determined, lived in cramped tenements that make modern New York apartments look spacious. There is actually a museum that goes through one of these buildings, and shows how people managed to survive. But it cost $15, and I decided to wait to see it. It isn't going anywhere, and neither am I.

The LES is also full of bargain stores. On both sides of the street people called out to me asking if I needed a leather jacket. I was not in the market for one yesterday. But it is still good to know where those stores are. That particular section has a large jewish population, and it being the Sabbath, the streets were very calm. I hear the place is really hopping on Sunday, which just so happens to be my Sabbath.

The action on Saturday was found in Chinatown and Little Italy. Tourists flock to Chinatown because they go to buy black market Rolex watches and cheap knock-off handbags. The key to getting a good price on a handbag is bartering. But you have to do it right. For exmple, I saw two girls attempting to get a Chloe bag for under $30. The salesgirl said $30 because it was a real Chloe...yeah whatever. The girls made a fateful error in their bartering: they insulted the merchandise. They then said that they would not pay that much. Well, in the end they knocked down the price to $29. FYI faithful readers: no need to be a jerk. Simply say that you would love to have the item, but you only have $X. The sales people want to sell, and they will work with someone who really wants the bag.

The popularity of Chinatown is encroaching on Little Italy. One could say that nowadays Chinatown and Little Italy are one in the same. Little Italy also seems like nothing but a street of restaurants. But they look like yummy restaurants. I'll have to go back when I have more funds and more friends.

When you come visit me, I will take you to the Lower East Side. We'll walk around, eat gelato, buy handbags, and come home tired enough to get to bed early.

1 comment:

Mrs. James Quigley said...

we ate at a great place in Little Italy...I can't remember it's name though. We also had fun shopping for handbags. Steph got a great one!