Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Part Three: Sunday Peep Show



Corina's apartment complex is a group of small buildings clustered together in C-shaped groups of three throughout the area. Her small studio is rather roomy, it's size enhanced (most likely) by really big windows in the living room and in the bathroom. After my steamy shower in her shower-curtain-less bathroom, I decided to open the window just slightly to de-fog the mirrors and let the steam out. A slight breeze latched onto the window and it opened. All. The. Way. There I stood, in my birthday suit, wondering what I should do. Especially since I left my towel on the other side of the bathroom--requiring me to pass by the open window to retrieve it. Problem.

Crouching down I surveyed the area, and didn't see anyone walking about in front of their large windows. I felt confident enough that no one would see me as I streaked across the bathroom. So off I went, crouching down, to get my towel. Then, not thinking, I wrapped that towel around me while standing, and while facing the great outdoors. I prayed that no one saw me.

At church, we had what I consider my favorite Sunday of the year: Primary Program Sunday. This is where the kids sing songs and talk about all the things they learned at church throughout the year. This year the theme was "My Eternal Family," and the kids related their (good, positive) feelings for their families. The best part of these programs is the fact that these children are not trained performers so there will be one or two who "shine" differently than the other children. I was quite taken with one girl who obviously had no clue what they were singing. Oh, she would mouth the words with a very open mouth, but you could amusingly note that her mouth movements did not match the words to the songs. It was a classic Primary Program moment.

After being spiritually filled at church, we rushed home to eat lunch and get Gillian on her train back to Coventry. As we walked into Corina's complex a reddish BMW drove by with a couple of guys in it. They made a point of smiling, waving, and blowing kisses...at me. At first I thought back to how charming British men have been throughout my trip. Corina concurred (as she has had quite a bit of dating success there in England). Then it hit me like a big gust of cold air...they saw me. All of me. As I dashed all nakey across my friend's bathroom. Well, I'm glad they liked the show. (You didn't really think that I would escape that sort of dilemma without any repercussions, did you?)

My feet were still throbbing, and I welcomed a quiet Sunday afternoon at home. Plus I was a little embarrassed to leave the apartment in daylight. But, I was in England after all. If you have never had a chance to visit London, you should know that walking along the Thames is a must. Especially at night. That particular Sunday evening in late October was an ideal time for such a walk. Not only were Corina and I out there, but so was a nice handful of the London population.

The bus dropped us off by the famous Old Vic Theatre and we wandered westwards past Parliament and Big Ben. It made me really happy to be in a city where I could walk and sightsee. Dubai is not a pedestrian city. Even if it was, it is too hot to enjoy walking. It goes without saying that I enjoyed every step and every sight along the way...even if my blisters shouted in agony. If I had a crush on England before I visited, my feelings had developed into full-blown love.
Speaking of love, the final Sunday activity was to visit my friend and former roommate Sarah. Sarah left for England the same time I left for Beirut, only her experiences have turned out much better than mine. So good, in fact, that she met her husband a few short hours after arriving. It was nice to finally meet Jack. He seems very charming, and just the sort of fellow I would want my good friend to marry. Well done, Sarah.

Of course, it does make me wonder if I could be as lucky if I moved to England. I do have a couple of fellows in a reddish BMW that seemed quite taken with me...

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Hilarious!!! Glad you were able to shrug off the streaking episode with your usual panache!