Monday, October 13, 2008


A Tree Grows in Washington Heights
About a year and a half ago I took a fancy to growing a lemon tree. I really like Meyer Lemons, but at $4.50 a pound I realized that buying them would break my bank...so why not grow them? It appears that you can just buy dwarf lemon trees and grow those fruits right in your own home. So of course I wanted one for my birthday, and of course my good parents bought me one. When it finally arrived for my 31st birthday, it didn't look too promising. Please see the above exhibit. That little twig didn't look like it was going to be producing any produce anytime soon. I knew it would take some time to get any actual lemons, and I was a little afraid that my black thumb would interupt any future lemon cultivating. It is so fortunate that I just so happen to have an uncle who just so happens to be the head of the horticulture department at Texas A&M. He intervened with some solid advice like watering and making sure that the tree gets plenty of sun. Good advice. That summer my tree, named Magnus (to inspire lemon greatness), spent its days on my front stoop soaking in the rays and getting all big and strong.

I brought Magnus in once the weather grew colder, as per the advice of my wise, plant-friendly uncle, and in December I noticed its first flowers. I was amazed...I was certain I wouldn't see any signs of plant puberty for another year. After all it was still a young tree. Nonetheless, I was glad to see prospects of my own, home-grown fruit. (Am I a bad inner-city parent or what?) The little flowers turned into little lemons and all of a sudden I had twelve little baby lemons.

Most of them matured quickly and fell off the tree without being a useable citrus, but three stayed on and continued to grow. I swear I took pictures of their progress, but I can't seem to find them. But I watched the progress carefully. The lemons grew, but continued to stay green. My lemon advisor warned me that lemons took a long time to mature, but when September rolled around I became a little concerned. Did lemon gestation last as long as human gestation. Longer, apparently. Two weeks ago--ten months after the flowers blossomed--the lemons started to drop off the tree, indicating that they were finally ripe!!!

Yesterday I juiced them with so much pride. I actually grew those lovely litte lemons! I look forward to using them. I squeezed about 1 1/4 cups of juice. One cup is reserved to make a lemon tart for my parents' visit, and the quarter cup I used today as a remedy for laryngitis. My throat feels better already.
Right now Magnus the Tree looks a little sick. I think it was a little too small to produce three large fruits, and it has lost a lot of leaves. I hope that with a little TLC, it will be back in shape to make me some more fruit.

10 comments:

Kate said...

That's quite amazing! I can't believe you grew those big lemons in an apartment. Good job. :)

farmerette said...

That is so cool! Now I want to get a tree and try it. I have been reading your and Amy's blogs. It's fun to keep up on what's happening with you.
Leah

Mary said...

No "Lemon tree, very pretty" jokes yet? Great job on the fruit of your labors.

Now I kinda want a lemon tree...too bad my house plant that everybody says you can't die, has pretty much died.

Why Not said...

Incredible. I am in awe of your talent, dedication, and love for that fruit. I love reading up.

Brooke (Heath) Lentz

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Home grown fruit. There is nothing better. Great job on rearing healthy yummy lemons. I wish I could nibble on the yummy lemon tart you will be making!!

Em said...

So cool! Way to defy the citrus-growing states and raise your own lemon tree in NY--and in the Heights, no less!

Angela said...

I'm impressed!

Jacks said...

This is the best story ever. And my favorite part? The name of the tree.

Mrs. James Quigley said...

Yeah, pretty cool. Good job, I want to come see Magnus. Love you.

LeeAnn said...

You've inspired me to try plants again. After I killed my aloe plant (while living in Phoenix!) I was too traumatized to try again. Maybe it's time!