Monday, February 11, 2008



Welcome to the world of the prematurely hearing impaired.

Since I have this great job with a sizably smaller salary, I had to give up my membership at Crunch. Since I will have to start exercising out of doors, I wanted to get an iPod to keep me entertained while walking around. (The TVs at Crunch used to keep me on the elliptical machines for 40 minutes). So my mom took pity on me and for a Christmas/birthday/I better not ask for anything else gift, she bought me the pretty iPod Nano I've had my eye on since their debut (and subsequent style change).

I love love love my iPod. It has changed my life. Ok maybe not my life, but it has certainly changed the way I walk. Most of you may know that I am a fast walker. I walk with a purpose, but there isn't much flair to the way I walk. Now, with my iPod earbuds tucked firmly in my ears, I have a little more strut in my stride. My head is held a little higher, and perhaps there is more bounce and a little more sway. I must admit some songs make me want to break out and dance, but I refrain because quite frankly, there are enough loco people on the streets of New York as it is.

The other thing I love about my Nano is podcast subscriptions. For starters, they are free, so I get new things to listen to all the time. I am an NPR fan without a radio, but I can subscribe to podcasts and listen to current episodes of This American Life. (Sidebar: I HEART this program, and especially Ira Glass. His delivery is succint yet compelling. I saw an "I Love Ira Glass" tote bag in a magazine gift guide and I have coveted it ever since. Mom, how 'bout for next Christmas?) Not only do I subscribe to TAL, but I also listen to Radio 360, RadioLab, NPR's Song of the Day, Morning Becomes Eclectic and All Songs Considered. All Songs Considered is another of my favorites because they broadcast live concerts. Since I probably can't afford to see Bon Iver on Fabruary 22nd, I can listen to the live broadcast from D.C. on February 19th.

I am a little afraid that I will go deaf. I have to turn the volume all the way up when riding the subway because those trains are loud. I may have to invest in some of those noise reducing headphones. Mom? Haha just kidding. Who has my name for Christmas?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

meredith, you crack me up. I love reading your comments and stories, they are so funny. Do we have names for christmas yet?? (just kidding aunt susan, i know you are really busy)

Anonymous said...

Hello! I think that you might have been talking about the Ira totes that I make on your blog-listing (maybe not)! I'd love to make you one (deeply discounted--- $30 including shipping?). careysveen.com! Take care, Carey