Thursday, February 14, 2008


Don't Say I Didn't Warn You

Even though I have never had a significant other during this time of year, I have always liked Valentine's Day. Sure, it's a fake holiday for the sole purpose of buying stuff, but it is fun and sweet and it makes me happy--even though some of the general populace think I should be bitter about the lack o' love junk.

However, I actually heard the words "I hate Valentine's Day" escape my lips today at work. It had nothing to do with the actual faux-holiday, it had more to do with the obnoxious Upper West Side ladies who come in to demand a huge number of cupcakes, and then chewing out the manager for not icing them fast enough. I really wanted to shout, "It's just a @*&$@# #$(*#&$) !#%$* cupcake for Pete's sake" (Who is Pete?) Please note that we have no problem with large cupcake orders, provided you call ahead.

So because I spent some time fuming about the Valentine's craziness we had to deal with today, I did realize that I have some pet peeves associated with February 14th. Well, mostly for the type of gifts people give on this day. So without further ado, here is the Valentine's Day addition of my Deal Breakers. (Or, what you may be really thinking: the real reason she doesn't have a significant other on any day.)

1. Mylar balloons. Especially mylar balloons that play sappy love songs. Oh, yes folks, they do exist and they are AWFUL.
2. Stuffed animals. I am not five years old.
3. Red roses. I know, I know I have a heart of stone. It's just that the red rose is completely ubiquitous. All I'm asking is for a little imagination because Heavenly Father created lots of flowers for us to enjoy. Like hydrangeas and peonies. They may be out of season...Roses with other colors are acceptable.
4. The heart-shaped pendant. I don't really do jewelry, and I repeat: I am not five years old.
5. Heart-shaped boxes of chocolate purchased at the local Rite Aid. Finding out my favorite chocolatier and getting even three pieces would make me a lot happier.
6. Any mix of music containing the following artists: Air Supply, Chicago, REO Speedwagon and/or Celine Dion. (Those are just the first to come to mind. Proceed with caution.)
8. Overly mushy cards.
7. When married: no skank outfits from smutshops. I'm assuming I will still find those tacky.

What would this cold-hearted broad like for this holiday?
1. A book I've been wanting to read/ copy significant other's favorite book
2. A collection of significant other's favorite songs
3. Laura Secord or Leonidas chocolate
4. A home-cooked meal or a favorite restaurant.
5. Today I could totally use a massage.
6. When married: cute nighties from Anthropologie
7. When married: hot, steamy...tapioca pudding (my mind does not go there.)

So, to the masses, I pose a question requesting comments. I would like to validate my pickiness. What are your Valentine's Gift deal breakers. What would you rather get?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the Red Roses. I advised Jake that he didn't have to get me red roses this year because for our anniversary this year he got me a gorgeous boquet of Tangerine colored ones. And I knew the price would be twice as much and they would last half as long.
And this year instead of fighting the restaraunt crowd. We stayed home with the kids and had yummy steak and shrimp for dinner. We also started a new tradition. We each took a piece of paper and wrote the reason why we loved each person in the family. Then we gave it to that person. It was so cute. I am glad we did that this year.

Mrs. James Quigley said...

Deal breakers...you already mentioned stuffed animals- I hate them and anyone who thinks I might want one for Valentine's day or any other time of the year. I like the book idea, my friend Jared often gives his favorite books for gifts. I love getting them. I also am a sucker for letters, and cards. Just tell me you love me and I'll be fine.

Tamara said...

Doug and I went to see you at work this weekend and you weren't there. Hopefully you were out having a great time.

merebuff said...

I work from 7:30-3:30 Tuesday through Saturday, so you wil have to stop by early to catch me.

Natalie said...

you listed all my deal breakers to the T. When mark and I first started dating I told him this list right off so he wouldn't make a bad mistake, maybe that is why he has always been a little afraid to buy me anything. Red roses have always been a no-no. People who are over 20 and still like stuffed animals should be slapped and rudely awakened to the grown-up world. V-Day is still pretty lame, even though I have a love interest...the best part is valentine palooza!! (alicia's party she throws)