Thursday, February 07, 2008


Magnolia Bakery's ever-popular Red Velvet Cake.

Carrot Cake.
German Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake with gooey, soft Chocolate Icing

Icebox Cakes: Mint on the left, regular on the right.

That is little ol' me decorating Chocolate Pudding Pies. This photo is courtesy of Rich Press, who took the picture on behalf of Bloomberg wire service. We have had several photographers document our opening and decorating process. I haven't shown up in print yet, but it was incredibly nice of Rich to send me one that he took of me.
Last week I started my Cake Icer training. Under that job title, I am responsible for making the icebox cakes, banana puddings, plus the cake icings (which include buttercream, chocolate buttercream, Whipped Vanilla--for the Red Velvet, cream cheese, meringue...). I also get to decorate the cakes, pudding pies and cheesecakes. It is not easy, and when the crowds form, I do feel a little bit stressed. But for the most part I look forward to going to work. I am also eager to see where I will go from here.
Since we opened two and a half weeks ago, I think we have sold a million cupcakes. Okay, maybe not a million, but pretty darn close. My arm feels like it has frosted over a million cupcakes. (I will provide dessert for the person who wants to massage the icing arm.) When we first opened the doors, everything was so surreal. I couldn't believe I left public relations/the office culture to work in an environment that I was eager to leave behind in high school. But this is SO much better than my first job (at McDonald's). For starters, I deal with a lot less fried foods. We also get the occasional celebrity. Apparently Kobe Bryant came in last Sunday. I didn't see him, but I did see Yoanna House (America's Next Top Model Cycle 2 Winner), and I swear Francis McDormand came in. I just hope Upper West Side resident Bono comes in. Or Ed Norton. After watching The Painted Veil he is my celebrity crush du jour. (Good movie, by the way.)
I am pleased to note that I have only tried one dessert per week, so I have not experienced any weight gain. I also attended a party on Saturday and didn't have time to change my clothes. So while being covered in frosting, sugar and banana pudding, I totally chatted with a guy who asked for my number. So even though I don't get health insurance, it looks like this job comes with other benefits. (Now if only Ed Norton would come in while I am covered in sugar...)

4 comments:

The Big Red Dogs said...

I actually know a massage therapist, who also happens to love cup cakes.....

merebuff said...

Well, we are going to have to arrange for a massage/dessert get together!!

Natalie said...

Those cakes look devine, and you look so cute with the frosting bag. Okay, cute might not be the word you were going for. Meredith, what a fun job, I had no idea. (Because I am the slacker cousin who has abandoned you). Congrats on the job. I am really curious where this will lead you....because you are a great baker! love ya!

Tamara said...

I don't blame you for wanting Ed Norton to come in, I have been crushing on him for a long time...Doug is cool with it. I stumbled on your blog and it makes me want cupcakes. We might just have to stop by to see you at work.