Sunday, September 14, 2008


As I mentioned, like, a month ago, I was able to go to Seattle for a family wedding. I must say that I have been completely blessed to have grown up with my cousins. So it was a HUGE treat to be there for my cousin's nuptials. She looked beautiful (as usual) and the groom, whom I met during the trip, seems like a stellar fellow. He knows some of my NYC acquaintaqnces so that boosts his coolness quota.
On to the pictures! The above photo is of the happy couple as they exited the Seattle Temple. I must say that the bride chose her gown perfectly. I am a huge fan of the tea-length dress (I aspire to have my own tea-length wedding dress one o' these days), but since the Seattle weather was abnormally scorching, she chose the breeziest option. Plus she looks fabulous. The groom looks quite dapper as well.

This little cutie belongs to another cousin of mine. At two years old, this solid angel is the life of the party. She was born after I moved to NYC, and I was very sad to miss it, and a little sad that she doesn't really know me, but she did warm up to me a little by the end of my visit.

The mother of the cute little tyke above is a fantastically creative person, (well, all my cousins are and I am sometimes envious of their abilities) and she is responsible for the gorgeous design for the reception. While looking at the forthcoming photos you must remember that the event took place at a church.

The reception was held at the first LDS church builidng in Seattle--which fortunately has a lovely courtyard--perfect for mingling.

My friend at the blog "Where Flowers Bloom" (totally tried to add a link, but failed) flew in from SLC to help out with the bouquet and flowers. I loved the combo of the orange and green flowers. It was bold and unexpected.

My talented mom was in charge of the food. She needed a cute apron, and I found this one at Anthropologie. I love that store. The menu included chicken salad on cream puffs, pulled pork sliders on homemade buns, a couscous salad, and a spinach salad. The popular beverage table was filled with fun bottled drinks: key lime soda, root beer, and Mexican Coke (for the cane sugar).

More pictures of flowers. (I could have arranged the pictures a little better, but I hadn't come up with the story flow when I downloaded the images.) Anywhoo. The bouquet. The bride actually had two, one to hold and one to throw. The one she tossed was actually a bundle of smaller bouquets (providing marital luck to several ladies). I even caught one. Stay tuned for news of my wedding! Or perhaps when I go out on a date...

I even loved the boutonierres. I am not sure if I spelled that right. (A B.A. in French, and what good is it?)

The candy bar. I made a few trips to this place. I had forgotten how good malt balls were.

Instead of a traditional white, towering cake, the happy couple chose a few of their favorite cakes to eat: pink champaigne cake, pistachio cake, carrot cake, Australian Lambingtons, and Jacob's Chocolate Cherry Cake. The Lambingtons were my favorite. They are the little square cakes that mildly reminded me of Hostess Snowballs, but a trillion times better. I love snowballs, so you can imagine how much I loved those little guys. The Lambingtons didn't have marshmallow or a creamy center; they were simply a cube of vanilla cake surrounded in chocolate and coated with coconut. So good.

I was actually responsible for making the Chocolate Cherry Cake. I was glad to put some of my skills to work at the celebration.

The last picture I have for you is a close up of the great little oragami lanterns my cousin made. When the sun went down, these tiny cheery little lights added extra ambiance to the already fabulous reception. Good job family! And another Congrats to the Bride and Groom. I swear, your gift will be in the mail soon.

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I never thought of putting origami balloons on twinkle lights, but it looks amazing, and would be so easy to do!

stephanie said...

Wow, you sure do make the reception look amazing! We're glad you came too! Mmm... Jacob's Chocolate Cherry Cake - i could use some right now. The family saved some for us for when we got home from the honeymoon. Yum! AND beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures. I love mom's apron too. I swear I am not missing another wedding!!! And now I am craving Chocolate Cherry Cake.