Thursday, August 14, 2008


There's No Place Like Home...Especially if That Place is Seattle.

Although living in New York has been a "dream come true" (please forgive the tired cliche), I would be lying if said I didn't miss the smell of the Puget Sound, the crisp morning air, and all the people I know who live in the Seattle area. So, you can imagine my glee when I had money and vacation days to visit "home" for my cousin's wedding. I filled my time as best I could with my favorite Washington State activities. I shared meals with two former co-workers; played trivia with my former trivia teammates; went shopping with my best friend at University Village; ate at Ooba's, swapped music with my best music-friend; ate Sunday dinner with my aunt, uncle and cousins; watched the Olympics with my closest friends; and had quality time at Pike Place market. Since I am not the best photographer (those genes went to my sister and cousin), I only have a few to share about the week.

Each morning I took a lovely walk in the mountains. Yes, mountains. For some reason when I lived in the Seattle area I didn't realize that the region was not just hilly--it was mountainous and absolutely gorgeous. My eyes and heart needed the reprieve from all the architecture. One morning on my walk I picked blackberries. Wild blackberries that were sweeter and juicier than the ones I have been purchasing here. Plus they were free.

New York has lots of nice farmer's markets, but I prefer Pike Place. NYC's so-called flower district as nothing on this place.

Luckily, tourist season keeps this place packed and lively. It is highly ironic that I now like this place packed with people. When I was little I was always afraid of getting lost in the throngs. I am pretty sure I gripped my dad's hand for dear life.

The best produce is in Washington state. Isn't it pretty? Well, except for the large, icky fungi.

I didn't get a chance to take a ferry ride either. Another ironic glimpse into my childhood: I didn't like ferry rides. At the time it wasn't a nice clean commuting aid; it was a place for wierdos to hang out.

I loved the piers when I was a kid. My favorite was the Trident Pier. It had a fun shop full with Asian imports. I liked the Japanese fans. The store is long gone now, and some tourist shop has sadly replaced it. If you have a hankering for fudge, saltwater taffy, or a Grey's Anatomy t-shirt while walking along the waterfront you will not have to search for long.

The Ye Olde Curiosity Shop is full of mummies, skeletons, and petrified stuff. I like the totem poles. I wonder if they are real or stolen like the ones in Pioneer Square.

I really looked forward to my lunch at Ivar's; I recommed their fish and chips to everyone who goes to visit Seattle. I was so incredibly disappointed. My fish was overcooked, small, and obnoxiously over-priced. I hereby unrecommend the place. Go to Anthony's instead. Or bypass seafood entirely and eat at the 5-Spot in Queen Ann. I had amazing pear hazlenut French toast.

I had to wait in a long line for my food because of the hordes of people receiving similar advice that I gave to eat at Ivar's. There were also a lot of well-fed seagulls milling about squaking for handouts.

That's pretty much it for my photos, but I hope it gives a little glimpse into why I like this place so darn much. (Obviously this blog post is meant more for my readers outside of the Evergreen State. Insiders already know.) Up next: the few wedding pics I took. But now I am going to sleep.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me home sick!!!!I love the pictures. That is dissappointing news about the crappy food at Ivars. But the French Toast sounds absolutely yummy!!!! I am hoping to go back next summer with the kids. I can't wait to smell the salty sea air!!!!

Love you!!!

W.E. said...

I was there for a wedding at the same time. Wish I had known you were there.

kelsey said...

You must be a lot older than me, because I don't ever remember the ferries being full of creepies. :)

Mary said...

I can't wait to visit -- I swear I will go someday. My brother Michael just got a job there, and moved last week with his wife and baby. Your pictures look great

Kendra Leigh said...

oooohhhh, your photos make Seattle look so inviting. Maybe I'll make it there one day. At the very least, I'll put it on my list of cities I want to visit.

Anonymous said...

I am totally jealous Mere, I was in Seattle for a couple days last month but i was so busy with meetings that I didn't even get to go to Pikes. I'm hoping i can get there some time soon, Arizona isn't exactly known for their fish.

Ben

LeeAnn said...

Awww, I miss Seattle! I love it here in Phoenix, but I have so many great friends and memories there! Fortunately I still have a brother who lives up there, so I have an excuse to go back there (and somewhere to stay for free!). I used to work downtown and would sometimes walk to Pike Place on my lunch hour for fresh bread, cherries, and (when I was REALLY bad) fresh mini doughnuts! YUM!!! Fish mongers are HOT!

Malesa said...

I would have loved to see little kid Meredith clutching her father's hand for dear life. Awe, cute! Looks like a great place to live. Makes me miss having a "normal" life