Wednesday, May 14, 2008


Your Sixth Drink? You Lush!

So about three weeks ago or so, I had my fancy schmancy birthday mocktail party. Let me begin by saying that it was a blast for many reasons. First of all, people came. Secondly, people dressed up. Thirdly, they drank.


H was the champion drinker; her goal was to try every drink we offered. It was a tall order since the menu consisted of the following teetotaller beverages: appletinis, mai tais, lemon drops, tequila-less sunrise, sangria, passionfruit mojitos, margaritas, pina coladas, and anything that goes well with an olive. Come to think of, I think I finished off that list.
Here I am with two of my roommates as we show-off the beverages. You will note that we are all wearing black dresses. We recommended to our guests that they show up in cocktail attire (it was a cocktail party after all). Thus the LBD (Little Black Dress, for the non-fashionably inclined) was in full force, but some people showed up in much brighter colors.
This picture unfortunately did not capture this guest's bright blue tights. My roommate bought the pink cocktail shaker for the party. It was a very wise investment. She figured that if the party was a success we would do mocktail party sequels, and we would need a shaker.

I was really greatful for the turnout. It made me so happy to be surrounded by friends, and it made me feel that I actually had a place in this huge, bustling city which like a pinball machine seems to constantly push me in frantic directions. So enjoy some pictures of guests...or people that help me feel more settled.



I am proud of this brave married couple who joined fun, mingling with a crowd of singles.
The girl on the right helped me make sugar cookies. She came over in the nick of time. I spent all day prearing the mini-tarts, cheese puffs, and other treats, but I didn't give myself too much time to shower and look presentable. Thanks to her help, I looked pretty good that night.
My roommates proved mighty helpful that night as well, mixing drinks and replenishing the food that everyone seemed to enjoy.


We had a very fashionable crowd.


And despite all the LBDs, the only matching outfits were these two fellows. If you look closely, you will see how exactly matched they were...except for the black jacket.
This is actually a rather dorky picture of me. I am biting a maraschino cherry and not at looking seductive while doing so. That was the plan. I was trying to recreate that iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's image of Audrey in that Givenchy black dress, the pearls, and smoking a cigarette on a long holder. This was my modern take: my Banana Republic black dress, black pearls....and a maraschino cherry.


The appletinis, that my roommate is holding, was the hit of the evening. Someone stated that it was like drinking a green apple Jolly Rancher. The Tequila-less Sunrise was the second-most popular drink.


A lot people took pictures, and they are probably better than mine; they just haven't been forwarded to me yet. Hint, hint. I got tired of posing for photos like the one above. But check out the girl on the right. It's not a super-detailed photo, so I will have to tell you that the eyelashes and most of the hair were not her own. That was total mocktail party commitment.


And that is the aftermath. We left the cleanup to the one roommate who didn't make it to the party. Don't worry, she volunteered.


I had a great time, but more importantly it appeared that everyone had a great time as well. So good that you may read future posts at the phenomenal New York event: Mocktail Sundays.

6 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

I'm so sad I couldn't make it! I'm totally at the next one...

monica said...

how fun! all those drinks sounded yummy i am glad you had a great party!

Angela said...

Cute dresses!! Glad the party was a succes!

Holly said...

I think that was seriously the funnest party I've been to here. And Meredith, you did totally look hot.

Natalie said...

What a fun party....a couple steps up from our BYU 80's parties!! you have always been a good party planner. It was great to talk to you the other day!

LeeAnn said...

Leave it to you to plan a party with panache! You looked very classy in the pix!