Monday, October 22, 2007


Poor Ichabod Crane. At least I survived with my head.

My newest celebrity sighting.

Ghosts in the graveyard.

Eerily-lit working mill.

I don't like graveyards in the dark.


Happy Halloween Everyone! In honor of one of my favorite holidays, I thought I would recount a recent trip I took to Sleepy Hollow for some scary festivities.

It is always a treat to leave the island, but without a car I don't get that opportunity very often. So, when the when some girls from church decided to take a trip to Tarrytown, I was in. I really don't know much about Tarrytown, but I learned that right next to the village of Tarrytown is the legendary village of Sleepy Hollow. I was really excited; I had no idea that Sleepy Hollow was 1) a real town and 2) so close to New York City.



Sad to say, I must complain about my high school education. We studied American literature in 11th grade, but I do not recall ever reading any of Washington Irving's stories. Humiliatingly, I must admit, my only familiarity with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was thanks to the Disney animated featurette. (Which, by the way, do they not show it so regularly during Halloween?) Nonetheless, despite my lack of knowledge of the tale, I was more than excited to make myself familiar with the legend.



The village of Sleepy Hollow threw themselves into celebrating Halloween and their most popular legend. The town reminded me of Stars Hollow--the fictional town in the TV show Gilmore Girls--where the whole town contributes to the fun. Of course Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow was all decked out in Halloween finery, but the main attraction was a haunted village in a park called Phillipsburg Manor. I believe this manor is part of a Carnegie or Rockefeller estate, but I do know that it is a historical attraction/interactive museum complete with a working mill and gift shop.

After arriving to the manor we walked down a path lit by old-timey lanterns and haunted by teenagers trying to scare their friends. I was a little concerned that this would be a scary-horror-filled haunted mansion. I don't like haunted houses except for the one at Disneyland because, really, that one is far from scary. Luckily, this was a family activity, so it couldn't be too scary for five-year-olds or chicken adults. (There is no shame in that.)

The wooded path eventually led us to a quaint farm yard with a barn, farmhouse, garden and the aforementioned mill that was "haunted" by villagers dressed up as ghosts from the colonial era and a troll. The first attraction was a storyteller who, while decked out in colonial costume, recounted the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and other ghostly folklore from the area.

Nearby I saw a vendor selling spiced donuts and hot cider. I'll be honest, I made a beeline for that stuff. It really isn't fall without a spiced donut and cider. Since fall hasn't really arrived in New York yet, I thought the donut and cider combo would at least help me feel like it has. (Seriously folks, I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt under my lightweight jacket...and it was nighttime!) Treats in hand my entourage and I walked around the rest of the village. We passed by the haunted barn where colonial-era ghosts were dancing traditional dances, a juggler, a pirate band, and a graveyard with punny headstones.

The highlight of the evening was a visit by the Headless Hessian Horseman himself...or someone dressed up as the ghoul. Sadly by this time the camera batteries died, so I don't have a picture of a headless personage riding by on a black horse and carrying a lit jack-o-lantern. But it was rather neat. Apparently he made a couple of appearances throughtout the festival, so we actually waited by a split-rail fence to see him. I imagine it was a lot like waiting for the Great Pumpkin to appear, except the Headless guy didn't give out toys.

After we made our way through the village, my friends and I went up to the Old Dutch Church to look at the incredibly old headstones. In fact, Washington Irving was buried there as well as the Revolutionary War soldier who, as the legend goes, got his head shot off during the war and now rides up and down Sleepy Hollow looking for a new head. So, folks, it appears that Mr. Irving did not just make that up--it exists. So maybe I really did see that actual ghost afterall.
Gladly, we did not stay in the graveyard too long. It is a little disconcerting hanging out there around midnight...especially in a town filled with spooky legends.

We made it back to New York with our heads fortunately, and I even bought a children's book with the actual legend. Now I don't have to rely on Disney for the details.

No comments: