Monday, February 26, 2007


Cola-Flavored Slurpee World


The night before Valentine's Day New York was treated to a nice little snowstorm. Perhaps you heard about it...or at least the fallout regarding JetBlue's response to it. Anyway, I wasn't too excited about it, mostly because thanks to the Subway I don't get a snow day. If I still lived in Seattle, I would be staying home from work for sure. Instead I had to tromp around in the muck. Oh yes, I mean muck. I used to love the snow when it falls because it makes everything all pretty. Not so much in the city. As soon as those pretty white flakes hit the pavement they turn brown or sometimes yellow. OK, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but sidewalks and streets don't stay empty long enough for the pristine joy of a fresh snowfall. The ensuing slush quickly turns brown (or yellow) and not so pretty. It also makes cola-flavored slurpees seem less appetizing.


The snow has made me miss my car. Luckily I bought snow boots just in time. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to buy any; snow boots are not cheap and they are basically ugly. I looked at a lot of boots but didn't really love any of them. Since New York was not getting any snow I was certain I wouldn't need any. Then it got very, very cold and two pairs of tights were not keeping my little legs warm. So I broke down and visited the 70%-ff sale at Shoe Mania, my favorite shoe store. I've gotten good deals there.


I didn't have much dinero for the purchase, but I found a black pair of Timberlands with a bit of faux-fur trim (although according to the news, my fur trim may be doggy fur). I really was hoping to avoid shearling and fur trim, but that was pretty much impossible because all the boots at the store where either Uggs, wannabee Uggs, fur-trimmed, extremely out of my price change, or just downright matronly. So I found my little boots. Sceptically, I tried on the boots. I looked at them in the mirror, walked around, but I was still unsure. What helped me purchase them? Well, a nice guy came up and said that he totally dug the ghetto Timberland boots matched with my totally punk fishnet stockings. I did not realize I was rocking a ghetto-punk look. (I guess since that is my typical look, I forget that I am just that cool...kidding). So of course I bought them.


My boots totally fit in my neighborhood, too. Well my boots do for sure, but a white girl in Timberlands creates a bit of a stir. I get a lot of stares when I walk around in them. No matter, they are keeping my feet and legs warm which is only slightly more important than how they look...just a smidgeon. The above picture does not really do them justice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LIz and I love the boots and we miss the snow!!!!!!