Monday, November 23, 2009

Last Days

I hope to have my vacation blogging finished soon. It has been crazy busy at work, and I have been a little too cranky to type things up. Plus there has been this little issue with me trying to move a picture from iPhoto to this blog. I think I've figured it out.

I spent the last few days in the U.S. of A in Seattle with my sister, cousins, and friends. I was really glad that my sister Andrea accompanied me the last few days, and not only because she provided me with transportation. Our quality time actuality started in Spokane when we went and saw Where the Wild Things Are and I helped her become Madame Hooch for a Halloween party.
We had a nice drive across the mountains, and arrived at my cousin Alicia's house in time for a nice walk to my old junior high. The walk to and from school when I was younger was the reason I was a twig. It is uphill both ways, and one of those hills is actually a staircase consisting of 210 railroad tie steps. It was a good workout for us, and we totally earned Alicia's good soup and cinnamon rolls. I could so use a workout like that here.

Andrea was my shadow for a bit the following day when we met my former co-worker, Michael, for lunch at Noah's Bagels in Mercer Island. (I had chili and a pumpkin bagel). It was fun meeting up with Michael, and he told me all about cyclocross (cross-country biking). Maybe I'll have to take that up one of these days. He took a picture of me and my sis, but it still in my email... After that filling meal and conversation, Andrea and I headed to Pike Place Market. No visit to Seattle is complete without a trip there. If I could, I would've hugged that place.
I hugged my sister instead as we took that self photo. I bought some jams and honey, and then we decided to warm up a bit with a cup of hot chocolate from Dilletante. No cup of autumn cocoa is complete without a donut, so we headed to Top Pot. It has been a really long time since I have eaten a donut, and the old-fashioned varieties we chose were heavenly. I picked out a pumpkin flavor. (P.S. Not only did I attempt to eat huge amounts of junk food while home, I also sought out anything pumpkin.) Upon our return to Alicia's house, we were surprised with a visit from our cousin Stephanie, who joined us all for a taco dinner. I was so glad she came over. We worked off our treats of the day with a trip to the gym with Alicia.

Cousin-time continued the next day as Andrea and I drove up to spend the day with my Natalie and her two daughters. I have already told you about sweet Leah, and well, as you may have guessed, she continued to be sweet. We played with some toys and Natalie introduced us to Yo Gabba Gabba--pretty much the coolest kids show on the tube these days. (Look out next year for an appearance from Weezer on the show!) We trekked of to a new Fred Meyer store for lunch with Uncle Bruce, and to collect last minute items like Crystal Light and Little Debbie snacks. (Not for me, by the way). It was sad to make a round of good-byes to Uncle Bruce, Natalie, and her girls. But very comforting to know that in roughly 4 1/2 months I can see them again.

That night I finally met up with some Seattle friends. I didn't make as much time for friends in this trip as I would have liked, so my deepest apologies for any oversights and hurt feelings. (Remember, I'll be back in the state in March 2010!!) Andrea and I joined Erin, Carol, Brett, Stacey, and Bob for dinner at PF Chang. It was good food, but it didn't hold a candle to the joy one has when catching up and reminiscing about fun memories. Some of us, and I won't name names here, felt it necessary to bring up some pretty embarrassing stories about a certain blogger who will also remain nameless. Will no one forget my foibles?!?! After the fortune cookies were cracked, we resumed the chatter at Erin's until Stacey fell asleep on Bob's shoulder, and we all decided to call it a night. I recently watched on Oprah, that people in Okinawa credit their longevity to a good friendship support system. I totally get that. That night re-juvinated me.
Finally the sad day came for me to leave the companionship of family and friends. I visited the temple, and then Andrea had a very filling, although not-so-nutritious, meal from Triple X. I love that place. Andrea totally dug it too, as I knew she would. Not only are the burgers good and greasy, but the root beer is pretty awesome. Andrea also appreciated the classic car decor.

At last Andrea drove me to the airport. I had a great time with my sister. We hadn't hung out like that since she visited me in New York nearly two years ago. Thanks Andrea for joining me in Seattle!

I hugged her good-bye, and got on the plane. Next stop: London.

1 comment:

THE FOLKS AT HOME said...

Hey Sis. I am so glad that you came down here in Seattle and Spokane. I miss you so much and I had soooo much fun spending time with you and friends. I think this is the best memory of us together, having fun time in NY too. When you can get home we need to continue spend more time with each other. I really enjoyed your company. I love you so much and I can not wait to see you again.