Tuesday, May 05, 2009


The Glamorous. Oh the Flossy Flossy.

Ever since my 28th birthday, I have felt the need to have some sort of exciting thing to do, whether it be a smashing party, dinner with friends, a concert, or moving to the other side of the country. This year, since I am still new to the country and have such a limited number of friends, I was afraid that this birthday would be a pity party for one with enough birthday cupcakes to soothe my wounded emotions. Fortunately, I remembered that Dubai is full of really unique activities...provided that one has enough money to pay for such diversions.

I haven't researched it yet, but I am pretty sure that I don't have enough money to go swimming with dolphins at the Atlantis Hotel (maybe next year), but a movie at a Gold Class Cinema is in my price range. When I looked up this option last week I nearly gave up on that idea too because the cinema was showing that Mall Cop movie. Umm. No. I am not going to pay 110 dirhams ($34) for a dumb movie. Sunday, I checked the Web site again, and with much elation I saw that one of the movies showing at the Gold Class was "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." I was so giddy that my friend Aaron was prompted to ask, "How old are you turning?" My response: "Twelve." Aaron couldn't go with me as he was working (suckah!!), but he recommended I invite one of his friends, Nancy, whom I am just getting to know. I was very glad that she was eager to go as well. Plus she has a car, and that meant I didn't have to pay cab far for the Mall of the Emirates.

The MOE, is probably the swankiest mall I have ever been to--that is, until I visit the new Vegas-y Mall of Dubai. I am sure many of you have heard about the indoor ski slope here in the UAE. Well, it is as the MOE.


The mall is about two stories tall. The 1st level is filled with stores that most of the common folk can afford. (Except for H&M, there isn't much I can afford.) The second floor is filled with the fancy stores like Louis Vuitton, Tiffany's, and Carolina Herrera, you know...the places you would visit if you needed something to wear to the Oscar's.

So, you are probably wondering what this Gold Class Cinema is all about. It's pretty much the best movie watching experience you could ever have. It's a little like watching a movie at your house, in a Laz-E-Boy recliner, a blanket should you need one, with state-of-the-art surround sound and screen. Oh, and a waiter at your beckon call should your ginormous cup of carbonated beverage empty before the movie ends. It's like that. No fighting over the armrest, no one kicking your seat, no sticky theatre floors.

Upon entering the theatre lobby, you choose what you would like to eat during the movie. I vascillated over having a burrito or a burger. I ended up going with a bacon cheeseburger because 1) it's my birthday and I wanted free-calorie fries; and 2) it is harder to mess up a burger than a burrito. (I learned that is not entirely true. Beef bacon is not bacon, and never will be.) I also ordered a Big-Gulp-sized cup of Diet Coke. It's amazing I slept at all last night.


Then I got myself all comfy in my seat and waited for the movie to begin. The recliners were so comfortable, and they reclined all the way back. Awesome. (Please note, that when eating a burger with ketchup and mustard "all-the-way reclined" may result in you getting said condiments all down the front of your only nice blouse.)
The movie was good enough, but the chair and service really made the cost worth it for a birthday treat. I pretty much only wanted to see that movie for three reasons: 1) it was not "Mall Cop"; 2) Taylor Kitsch (a.k.a. Tim Riggins on Friday Night Lights) plays Gambit; and 3) Hugh Jackman has a few scenes where he is not wearing a shirt. Good times.

Due to my long legs, I've always wanted to recline like this at regular movies. Too bad I can't afford this all the time. If the A/C was on too high, I would have even requested a blanket. You can't beat that.

The other thing I wanted for my birthday was a piece of berry pie. I went to this French cafe-type restaurant to find something that fit the bill, and I instead ordered a slice of rhubarb pie. It was delicious, and probably even more so since I hadn't had rhubarb in a while. Maybe I'll get a berry pie of sorts tomorrow when I join the ladies from church at Le Pain Quotidien.
So that was how I celebrated my birthday. Like a rockstar. Dubai-style.

13 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

I'm making berry pie today. I wish you could come over for a slice! But you're having a better adventure where you are.

Sherry Carpet said...

and Happy Birfday!

Natalie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your adventures on here! I'm glad that Mary had it linked on her blog so that I could come and visit.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Jacks said...

Awesome. I feel like I got to celebrate with you. Oh, this sounds like heaven. Thank you for sharing.

Happy Birth, my friend!

Kate said...

Sounds like a fun birthday!
p.s. CUTE SHOES!!

Dave said...

What a fun theater. I still haven't been able to make it down there, but life will be complete when I ski dubai... Happy Birthday!!!!

Kendra Leigh said...

Aack! Sorry I missed your birthday! (FB is my trusty bday calendar, and I haven't logged in there in a long time). Sounds like you had a fun day! Happy Birthday! We're so glad you were born!

monica said...

oh how cool to be able to recline like that in a theatre. dream. and good choice not going to mall cop. it was worse than i thought it was going to be and i thought it was going to be dumb.

Salix said...

What a lovely birthday! And I envy you the rhubarb pie...it is my favorite! (Beef bacon???)

The Quigleys said...

So glad you had a great birthday! Miss you and love you.

Kimpossible said...

OOh...I've been craving a fruit pie and that one looked SOO good. Now I know I can't resist any longer.

I miss you! Seeing Aaron Brown made me miss you a lot. Happy, happy Birthday!

Amber Henrie said...

hey there - glad to see that you did the lazy boy chairs for your b-day. Sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate with yoU!