Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Still no pictures, but at least I can write!

I still don't have an adapter for my computer, but I should soon. My tour guide/bosses' brother Wassim was going to take me tonight but it appears that he is working late. I'll accept that excuse because he's been super kind taking me to church and the store, etc. In fact, he showed me the pretty part of Beirut on Saturday night. After 16 long hours of baking, we went to the fancy downtown--the area that invokes the reference "Paris of the East." It has been renovated since the civil war, but the late Prime Minister Hariri did a bang-up job making the buildings appear as they used to, but more modern. It was so beautiful. I also saw some Roman ruins and a gorgeous mosque. I took pictures!

Sunday I went to church. As you may imagine there are not a lot of Mormons in Beirut, so we met in a small apartment. It reminded me of my mission. Everyone was so friendly, and it made me feel like I was home. Everyone was relieved to hear that I speak French, since it is one of the languages used in the branch Arabic and English being the others.) The only Americans there that day were the missionary couples, the rest were Lebanese and Philippino. The one odd thing about church: it was TWO HOURS LONG. I guess that's what happens when you have few announcements. I was a little floored by the concept, but I am not complaining!

I still live at the hotel, but I should hopefully have an apartment next week. According to Nabil, he's having some poor student kicked out of his apartment so I can live there. I checked to make sure he was kidding, but I don't think he was. How incredibly Emily Gilmore of him.

Anywhoo. I need to get up to bed. Not sure when I will be able to post pictures, but I will try to take some for the day that I can!!

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. What an adventure! Post pix of all the people at work you're mentioning so we can see who you're talking about!

Ang said...

Miss you miss you miss you. Hope all is well and that we get pictures soon.