Monday, August 13, 2007


Into the Woods

I just thought I would drop a quick note to let you all know that I will be going camping this week. Believe it or not, there are a few people out there that think that I have never been camping. I know I look all urban and posh, but oh yes, I know all about that tent stuff. See the above picture. I believe I am the girl with the blue and white shirt standing next to my dad. (Thanks to Brenda Sparrow for the photo!!)

Since I do not have a car, you may ask how I will get to the woods. Well, it may surprise you to know that there is a camp ground in Central Park. Kidding! There isn't one (for people with homes). I will actually take a train to a shuttle that will lead to church-owned campgrounds.

During this particular camping excursion I will be a Certification Leader for the young women from my church. Every year the church sends girls into the woods to teach them valuable skills like making bedrolls, cooking over a fire, and hunting snipes. Growing up in Washington State all those skills seemed very important because everyone camps and hikes there. In New York City, however, I will really strive to show girls how necessary it is to learn camping skills; I doubt they have many opportunities to head up to the woods. This year I will be teaching Harlem and Washington Heights girls how to sharpen knives and build a fire--skills that will be more than useful in starting a life of crime. To the people of New York: I am so sorry.

I'll post pictures when I get back! If I get back...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm camping too this week, in Heber Utah at the brand new posh church girls camp (or so they tell me -- I'll let you know how posh when I get back). It's a family reunion, so I doubt I'll use my fire-starting and knot-tying skills I learned at girls camp growing up. We may do a trust fall though.

W.E. said...

Can it be? At one point was I nearly as tall as you?