Thursday, August 02, 2007



I think I have a new friend

About a week and a half ago, a friend from Spokane gave me a free ticket to see "The Fantasticks" an off-Broadway show playing at the very illustrious Snapple Theater. The show was...interesting. I was kind of expecting some big song and dance numbers and fun costumes, but it was a smaller production with eight cast members, no costume changes, and no fancy set. The story was kind of a love story with some cheesy songs, and it was really hard for me to concentrate because I had Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in my lap. I really wanted to read! I must say that I didn't love any of the characters, but there was one that fascinated me a little. This guy was the first one on stage. He pranced around a bit at first, but for the most part he was a background character, almost like an extra prop. He didn't even sing or speak--his character's title was actually "The Mute". But he moved well, with cat-like precision. And despite the fact that he didn't have to wait for any speaking cues he watched the play unfold very intently. I will not lie...he was also kind of pretty.

By the end of the play the boy got his girl, and I was ready for the train ride to get back into my book. As I boarded the train, I noticed a very familiar face across from me--it was the kid from the play! I was somehow less interested in Harry Potter and more in seeing if I could make eye contact with the fellow. (Since I was sitting on the front row, he was bound to have noticed me.) Yeah, that didn't happen; he was sitting next to a friend, so back to the Deathly Hallows I went. Now that I am all brave from my Ted Allen meeting, I decided that I needed to mention the play before I leave the train. I was hoping for an opportune moment, but he kept chatting away to the kid next to him. I breathed a small sigh of relief that he didn't depart from the train before I had a chance to say something.

Fortunately for me, we got off on the same stop. Cool, huh? I had my chance. He was behind me just a bit, so I turned my head and said, "Great show tonight." Then he said, "I thought I recognized you from the audience!" I was so flattered. We chatted a bit; he wanted to know why I went to the play, etc. It was so cool, like a future celebrity sighting. I was excited to share this news with my roommates.

The story goes on. Sunday night I came home from some friends' house, and who was on my train? The kid from the play!! Sadly I didn't see him until we got off at our stop, but guess what, he still recognized me. This time we exchanged names (Nick). It is just too bad we don't use the same staircase at the subway station. That would be cooler. Oh, I am not finished. Tonight I came home from downtown and took the express train, meaning that I had to get off at another stop. As I rounded the corner to exit, I ran into Nick, and we talked a bit again before he headed downtown. I really look forward to taking the train now because I think I have a new friend. We chat. We exchange pleasantries. He told me that he went to the beach today. Who knows, maybe after a few more run-ins we will exchange phone numbers or mixed CDs or something. Either way, I think this is really cool.

Now before anyone gets excited about possible future "dates," let us all remember that he is a boy that sings and dances. On stage. But according to his myspace page he is straight. He is just a little young and wee (small).

2 comments:

Kate said...

Fun to have a new friend. I finally caught up on some blog reading after being out of town and mostly without a computer... so forgive my absence from the comments.

Kimpossible said...

yes, but you like those wee ones.