Tuesday, July 04, 2006




Happy Fourth of July! I hope that you all had nice barbecues and watched some fireworks. Today I went to Coney Island with some people in my ward. The trip to Coney Island was supposed to be some kind of church activity, but I did not see too many church people, but I saw HORDES of other people, most of whom did not speak any English. Coney Island is kind of a dirty, kitschy place. It has all the obligatory carnival rides, food, litter, and even a freak show.

My two friends, Hillary and Steve, and I arrived at Coney Island in time to catch the end of the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Championship. Perhaps you caught it on ESPN. Anyway we see saw the last minute or so, and in case you are wondering, yes the Japanese kid won again. This time he broke a record: 53 3/4 hot dogs. Well, we couldn't let those guys be the only ones to enjoy hot dogs, so we stood in a very long line to get our own Nathan's Hot Dog. P.S. they are pretty tasty.

While we digested we headed to the beach. I brought my bathing suit, but to be honest I really didn't want to have to put it on. I was in so much luck. First of all the beaches were jam packed full of people. I am not lying. There was no place to sunbathe or swim. And if you closed your eyes for a brief moment, when you open them it would be like you were in another country. The other reason I didn't put the suit on was because the lines for the bathrooms were horrendously long. (Seriously, I paid money at a karate studio to not stand in line. The added bonus was that the restroom was also clean. Best $1 I spent.) We continued to walk around and enjoyed the occasional breeze and finally met up with JT, one of Steve's friends.

The main draw for the activity was a ride on the Cyclone--an old, wooden roller coaster. It has been awhile since I've been on a roller coaster, and I must say it was fun. I rode in the same car as TJ who asked me not too laugh if he screamed like a girl. Lucky for him, he did not scream like a girl. I did. It was a quick ride, and lucky for me it was free. Otherwise I would have had to pay $6.00. I don't think it was worth $6.00. But it was an essential activity for a Coney Island nonetheless.

The weather was unbearably hot. I am not sure of the exact temperature, but it was also muggy. Compound that with the amount of bodies in that small area...and you get one hot outing to Coney Island. I think I lost three pounds of sweat. I was glad that I got to go to Coney Island, but I will not be sad if I don't go back. It is kind of an icky place. Fortunately, I got to do the important stuff: the Nathan's hot dog and the Cyclone. Now I don't have to go back. And the first thing I did when I got home was shower and wash it all off of me.

I don't think I adequately conveyed how icky Coney Island is. It used to be the place that everyone went visited, but it is not that way now. Most people say that you have to get a hot dog and ride the Cyclone--which I did--and then there is no reason to go back. Obviously it is still a draw for some people because the beach was packed. But I think it is just the people who can only afford to go to Coney Island. The subway fare is $2, which is normal subway fare.

If I am lucky, my next trip to Long Island will take me to the Hamptons, by way of the Long Island Rail Road.

No comments: