Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Am I Home Yet?

I have been home from Dubai for three months, and I have retitled my blog to show that I am home, but I am still talking about the Middle East. This is because I am not so quick about blogging things, and I figure talking about strange locations is more interesting to people who read this blog. However, it is time to move on (in so many ways) so this is most likely my last post about my time in the Middle East. Maybe I'll infuse a few stories in now and again, but this is the Last Official Middle East Post on this blog.

I had a fabulous Last-Month-in-Dubai. It's amazing how wonderful a place can be when one isn't working 12+ hours a day and 6 1/2 days a week. The first thing I did was move out of my apartment (that I shared with a Pakistani family. Have I ever mentioned that?) and into my friend Toria's house with her family. (ThankyouThankyouThankyou Toria, John and Kids.) It was the first best decision for my last month. I also rented a car that allowed me to go all over the place. I've already written about the fun I had with Trish and our trip to Jordan. The rest of time I spent hanging out with the friends I made, doing some last minute shopping, and thoroughly enjoying Dubai. Well, except for the many times that I got lost whilst driving around.

Do I miss it? It is hard to say. I certainly do miss a lot of aspects of the place...and that definitely includes the items in my What I'll Miss posts. What I would give for some Handi Chicken Achari, cheap waxing, and obscure Brit Rock on the radio.

So, here's a list of things about Dubai I love remembering:
1. The beauty of the desert, and the softness of the sand.
2. Mingling with other cultures: the Philippinos at work, Pakistanis at home, and Arabs--to name a few.
3. Wicked crazy luxury goods.
4. Henna--although I only had it done once. Where are the henna parlors in Spokane?
5. Camels, but not so much camel milk.
6. Large photos of leaders along the side of the road. The following is Crown Prince Sheik Hamdan.
7. Access to exotic fruits.
8. Getting my feet wet in faraway bodies of water.
9. Last, and certainly not least: my friends at church. I have met some nice friends at church here--and everywhere for that matter, but nothing can really compare to the bond in Dubai. I guess since we were all so far away from family, we became a much stronger and united group. They were all so good and kind to me, and I miss, miss, miss them. They make me grateful for friendship and all of my friends.
10. Now here's some random photos:

So now I am back in the U.S. and living in Spokane. Let the adventure begin.

1 comment:

Toria said...

loved this post.
I miss you!! I'm so glad you stayed with us too.
I'm sorry we haven't talked much.
we're headed to the US next week- I will send you an email. These are some great pictures.
kids miss you too.
Ivy sends you texts every now and then :)