Thursday, June 28, 2007

City Mouse, Country Mouse

The first week in June I decided to get out of the city and head to College Station, Texas to have some fun in the country, and also to attend my cousin Callie's wedding. It was so nice to get away from the yellow taxi cabs, smelly subways, and uninteresting work. Plus I kinda have a crush on Texas. I'm not fond of the Lubbock area, but for the most part I really have a crush on the state. If it wasn't so blazing hot, Austin would be ranked higher on my places to live list. That is why I only have a crush on Texas. We tend to only crush on things we don't get to have. Who knows, maybe someday this crush will turn into full blown love.

My aunt and uncle live outside of College Station in a new development that helped me live the true meaning of vacation. I had no cell phone coverage, and due to the dial-up internet connection I couldn't check my email without wanting to hurt something...so I was unplugged from the world and didn't think about work at all. (The last time I took a "vacation" I worked during the majority of it.) Instead of monitoring the hundreds of google alerts that come into my inbox, I walked one of my aunt's dogs (Samantha, who became my best friend until I wouldn't let her share my bed. She totally hogged the bed), visited my grandma, baked goodies, and helped as much as I could with the wedding. I didn't do anything touristy, but I had a really great time.

College Station does not have that many tourist attractions. It has Texas A&M and the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library. The library was closed, but I did get to see part of the campus. My uncle is the head of the horticulture department, and we used one of the flower labs to put the flower arrangements together. I also saw a lot of cows. One of my cousins, Trevor, is a rancher of sorts. He is studying something to do with feeding cows at A&M (I am sure there is a more technical way of stating what he studies, however I don't recall asking what it was.) For some hands on experience, and reduced rent, he and his wife live in a 100 year old farm house while he looks after some cattle. One evening we took a trip out to see the cows (which weren't very friendly; they didn't let me touch them). I was pretty impressed with my cousin--he ropes cows and has a garden and eats the produce. That shouldn't be an amazing concept; it's just that I don't know that many people from my generation that has a garden and eats the produce.

The wedding was a lot of fun. The ceremony took place in Houston, and it was so hot and humid I thought I was going to melt away. I was wearing light clothes, and I really felt sorry for everyone in the tuxes and wedding dress. If I ever get married in Houston in the summer, I will probably have as few layers as possible. And I think a knee-lengthed dress will be an option. it would definitely be a draftier option. The reception was at the College Station Hilton with good food (i.e. steak--this is Texas), dancing and the Texas A&M fight song. Oh yes, I was told that the song is played at all Aggie functions...including weddings. My cousin, Lance, also informed me that the song is played on the radio as well. This a town that loves their university and its traditions.

I caught the bouquet. My relatives were pretty clear that I had to catch it, and despite my protesting, they enticed me to try to catch the bouquet. Part of the prize for winning was a gift card to Target. At first Callie just wanted to put a $5 Target gift card, but I said that $5 would not get me to the Bronx for my closest Target (the only Target in the world that I dislike as much as Wal-Mart). I did say that with a $5 iTunes card, I would probably give a few people a black eye. Then I had to explain the beauty of iTunes. I guess in a world of cars with radios, the genius of the MP3 player is not as important. My Uncle Tim put in a $20 Target card (and would not tell me how much), and I was dragged out to try my luck. I stood in the back, and Callie totally chucked the thing, and it landed on the floor a few steps away from me. So I got the Target card and a wishful promise of being the next bride. Either way it's a win-win situation.

The best part of the trip was seeing all of my cousin's on my dad's side of the family and meeting their spouses. I only have three cousins (Lance, Trevor and Callie), but since we haven't always lived near each other we have not been able to bond with them like we have with the cousins on my mom's side of the family. I particularly enjoyed noticing the family resemblances. Many people have thought that Callie and I looked like each other with our freckles and fair skin. Callie has always had red hair, and mine just gets red highlights. (We always liked it when people thought that we were sisters.) However, I noticed that from her engaglement photos that Callie looks a lot like our Grandma--they have the same eyes. I was surprised to see how much Trevor looks like my dad...except for the hairline and the nose. I think Lance takes after the other side of his family.

I was a little sad to leave Texas and my family down there. If I had only known that I was going to lose my job upon my return to New York, I would have stayed longer.

1 comment:

kiki said...

BOOOOOOOOOO to humidity, which I live with daily right now (ICK!), and to that last sentence you wrote.