Thursday, April 19, 2007

Earth Day Thoughts

Recently Al Gore thought he'd do the earth a favor and create a concert event to promote "green" causes. You should all know that I like concerts and decided to check out the line up. These events are going on all around the world, and wouldn't you know it, the best bands will be playing in the UK. Not very fair. I was amazed that there were a handful of USA bands playing across the pond. It makes me wonder about their travel plans. Wouldn't we be limiting our carbon footprint on the earth if the bands and all their gear weren't traveling all around the world? What about all the electricity for the sound and lights? Or will this event be solar-powered? Did Al Gore think about that?

I also wonder if the paper beer cups and plastic water bottles will be recycled...after event staff has to pick up the the litter from the ground. Oh wait, I'm sure only the very earth-conscious will be attending, and they will probably pick up their trash. I would pay to see that marvel. Seriously, after the Austin City Limits concert I felt very bad for the park workers. After the Coldplay show the park was a sea of empty beverage containers.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Love this post. So tired of Al. We're not big fans...

Last week I accidentally bought Sam a t-shirt that says "Travelling Green" with a cartoon of a hybrid car. I wasn't paying attention to the words on the shirt, just thought it was a cute green shirt with a cute car. Quinten was totally annoyed by it, and he wanted me to return it. His words, "Why don't you just get him an Al Gore shirt instead?"