Friday, June 23, 2006

Most of you know that I am a music fan. Last year I went to a few concerts, and I happen to kinda like a band named Keane. So today I thought I'd update you on some music goings on. Earlier I told you that I went to watch Snow Patrol on Good Morning America. I really like Snow Patrol, and their latest CD, Eyes Open, has been my favorite this year. But my true music love is Keane. On Tuesday their new CD, Under the Iron Sea, was finally released in the US. I have waited a very long time for this. I have also been a little apprehensive. The sophmore CD is a tough one--especially after a stellar debut album. This new one is different from Hopes and Fears, and there is something in their sound that will take some getting used to. But I like it, and I look forward to loving it.

Since Keane arrived in the US, I have seen them in concert 3 times, and I was determined to see them here in New York. In fact, when tickets went on sale for the June 23rd show (yes, tonight) I was online trying to purchase. To my grave disappointment the show sold out in TWO MINUTES. However, I was determined to try Craigslist later on. But I had a bit of a moral dilemma. I am pretty much poor. My intern salary is only $10/hour, so I really didn't think I should spend my hard earned dollars on a concert when rent is so expensive. I definitely vascilated.

The other day I did check out Craigslist because I decided that I could afford a $35.00 ticket to my Favorite Band for Life. To my horror most of the posts (and by most I mean 98%) were for people wanting to buy tickets and they were willing to spend $300 for them. I could not compete with that. My two coworkers, Ian and Tricia tried to talk me into going down to the Bowery Ballroom anyway and getting a ticket from someone desperate to get rid of one. Honestly, if I was desperate to sell, I would still hold out for someone more desperate than me. I came close to going, but I had to go home after work, and I chickened out.

I am seriously the wierdest girl. How is it that I am brave enough to quit my job and move across the country, but I cannot attempt to meet or see my favorite musicians? (Most of you may recall my poor decision last year in Austin that kept me from meeting Keane. And my Snow Patrol half-effort) I am soo lame!!! I just hope Keane comes back to New York soon, and I will try again. People familiar with the new album should chuckle. Try Again is the name of one of the songs...a really pretty one, too.

I did attend a concert on Sunday. Now, don't think that I am a heathen; I actually saw Gladys Knight and the Saints United Voices choir...not the Pips. This choir is Sister Gladys Knight's missionary tool, and I must admit that she does a fabulous job. The largest focus of the concert was to share her testimony with those not of our faith. The music was not at all what one would hear at a regular church service or EFY fireside. It was more reminiscent of a revival meeting. We were even encouraged to clap our hands. For those readers that are not Mormon, I should let you know that we do not clap in church. But we were allowed to do so on Sunday, and it was fun. Gladys Knight has done a great job with her choir, and she is fun to watch as a chorister--she dances around. I wonder if Mac Wilberg or Craig Jessop of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will ever start dancing. Probably not. Gladys Knight sang one of our classic hymns, I Am a Child of God. This hymn is important for our church and has been translated in practically every language. On Sunday I heard it in a new language--gospel. It was pretty cool. I have to admit that gospel/religious non-hymn is NOT my favorite music genre. I usually classify it with country or Backstreet Boys (unlistenable), but I appreciate the goal and efforts of the choir.

I really wanted her to sing "A Midnight Train to Georgia" but I guess that doesn't really classify as a church song.

No comments: